Thursday, September 27, 2007

rejoice.

someone said something in my spirituality in social work class today that really struck a chord in me. it wasn't anything too terribly profound, and i had definitely heard something along those lines before. (it's kind of one of my greatest hopes in life.) i guess it was just good to hear someone else say it out loud. "you don't have to be a product of what you came from. your story can be different." i've recently been hanging out in a group setting with some people for which that statement has definitely been true for their lives. they have become a living hope for me cause i want it to be true for me too. so bad. i've come to realize lately that there are a lot of things in my life that i thought i could control. now i know that i just can't. sometimes i just have to let my story play out. just because i come from a lot of brokennesss doesn't mean that i will always be broken. i'm trying to learn to change and mend what i can and accept and heal what i cannot.

rejoice.

7 comments:

David Cintron said...

It is nice to think that you can shape the person you are and move beyond or push aside where you came from.


By the way, I very much enjoyed your signing and playing @ JJs the other night. It was quite nice.

Margaret Granbery said...

You're beautiful!

sallykent said...

Hey Julia,

I think I know you... sorta :)

I just wanted to say thanks for being so honest and candid. All any of us can do is hope for healing of our damages selves. The song "Broken Places" from the great Andy Gullahorn comes to mind.

Anyway, here's to the healing.

Anonymous said...

The joys of living. It is amazing to me that as a Christian I can be challenged by someone who lives all the way across the globe, and its not just like "oh yeah, their point of view is interesting" look at it from far away. No, you can be friends with them.....across the globe, they can be your community just as much as someone who stands before you, living and breathing.... it amazes me.
I'll see you soon, my friend.

Allie, Dearest said...

Spirituality in social work.
That's awesome. I really enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

I did a google search for the "annuciation of truth" and I got your page.

I like that "Words are the means to meaning..."

Where did it come from?

Julia said...

it is a quote from the movie "v for vendetta." great movie. excellent quote. (in my opinion.)